Thursday, March 16, 2006

Kid Sis

The list of people who I envy is short, but those people all share one characteristic: they love what they do.

The list of people who I admire is shorter, but those people also share one characteristic: they’re all good at what they do.

I just got home from spending a half-hour with someone I both envy and admire: my cousin Amy.

My brother and I always wanted a little sister. We liked the idea of being chivalrous in the name of family. We liked the idea of interrogating potential suitors. And even my brother must admit that we unfairly outnumbered Mom on our Florida vacations; we relish the challenge of a more even match-up on the pontoon boat. In the past couple years we’ve unofficially adopted Amy as our surrogate kid sis.

Andrew set the process in motion while I was away at college. Since the two of them were closer in age, they became social confidantes during his junior and senior years in high school. The two of them bonded further during my summer in Los Angeles when Amy pinch hit for me during the family’s annual vacation in Florida. Slowly but surely, he pulled her into our dysfunctional web.

Amy was always somebody both my father and brother shared a great affection for. My dad always commented on what a remarkable (and beautiful) young woman she had become. My brother, on the other hand, seemed to have a unique insight into Amy’s trials because of their similar branches on the family tree – that of the younger sibling. On the list of people of whom my brother feels most protective, Amy is at the top, and I’m sure I can speak for him when I say she is one of the people of which he is most proud. I heartily agree with him.

It’s remarkable how similar Amy’s and Andrew’s stories have been. They both had their share of troubles in their teens before finding a niche for themselves that christened them with adulthood almost overnight. For Andrew it was West Point. And for Amy it was, for lack of a better word, style.

Although it’s laughable now, there was quite a bit of controversy regarding Amy’s decision to pursue a career as a stylist. I guess that’s understandable; it does seem sort of impractical at first glance. But looking at Amy now, living in her own apartment, essentially running her own one-woman salon, those who questioned her choice – it’s ok if you feel a little shame. And for somebody four years her senior living at home, battling for jobs, and returning to school in the fall, seeing her success makes me feel more than a little sheepish.

Before I left for my year in Florida, Amy was in the middle of beauty school. My way of showing support was to regularly offer my mane for her to experiment with. Those first sessions with Amy were terrifically entertaining, as Amy’s apprehension, enthusiasm, and genuine gregariousness combined into this effervescent personality that couldn’t help but make me smile even as she held my vanity in her trembling hands.

“Oh my God,” she always said right before putting clipper to crown.

Still, when somebody you love finds something that they love, you can’t help but want to be a part of it. So I returned time and time again for trims, shampoos, and colorings as Amy became more competent and confident. When I left for Florida, Amy was still pretty green, but she had come along way since our first adventure.

Uncertain about my finances in Florida, I cut corners where I could. One of those corners was my hair. I got a pair of clippers for twenty bucks and sported the shorn skull for the duration of my stay. By the time I returned home, Amy had long since graduated and earned herself a spot at J Michael’s salon. Though I was excited to see Amy’s new digs, my low-maintenance lifestyle meant that I had no hair for my cousin to manage.

But around Christmas the sight of my round dome started to bore me, and I decided to restart the growth. In the few months that followed Amy became a regular visitor at the Rockwell household. I became her TV dealer, getting her hooked on 24, Lost and Smallville as I freely lent out my ample collection of programs for her consumption (Veronica Mars is next). Whenever she stopped by, Amy made sure to check my scalp to anticipate when she’d finally get her hands on my hair again.

That day was today. It’s probably been anywhere from 18 to 20 months since I’ve had Amy cut my hair, and it’s remarkable how far she’s come. For starters, she didn’t say “Oh my God” before she began. She just went at it. Whereas the last time she cut my hair, it was all very much about proper technique (Amy didn’t want to mess up her cousin’s head), today it was clear that technique had given way to instinct. The work had become second nature. The nerves were gone, replaced by an unbridled enthusiasm for all the skills she had mastered over time. Amy gave me a full work-up this afternoon, but she made it clear she still had a handful of tricks she couldn’t wait to employ when she got the opportunity. Highlights are most likely next.

I’d recommend anybody, family or no, hunt down my cousin after J Micheals makes its move to its new location. Not only does Amy do a tremendous job (I walked out of there one handsome cat), but you’ll never find a sweeter, more charming girl in all your days. I can’t recall ever seeing Amy in a bad mood (and she rode to the airport with me on Thanksgiving), and her bright personality and enthusiasm are instantly infectious. She’s like our own little Reese Witherspoon; a ball of limitless positive energy you can’t help but be instantly smitten with. I’m so thrilled to go see this young lady again, my hair can’t grow fast enough.

So, from this honorary big brother, I salute one more family member who followed her dreams and has been rewarded for it. I’m proud of you, kid. We all are.

P.S. Good luck with dad, tomorrow.

No comments: