Friday, December 31, 2004

New Year's Obligations

“Sitius, altius, fortius.”
-- The Olympic Motto

I’ve never been one for new year's resolutions, only because we must subject ourselves to the tradition’s timing. Do people need to lose weight in June? Or be more generous in October? Perhaps call up an old friend in May? What makes a New Year so special that only then can we purge ourselves of our faults and revisit our passions with renewed vigor? Any day serves to make a change, and January 1st certainly doesn’t have the most productive record when it comes to steadfast commitments.

But since I now have at least four readers who will hold me to my commitments, I’ve decided to look to the year ahead – one that looks to be filled with tremendous change – and commit myself to certain things.

First, this blog will not be a personal fad. I will continue to maintain it, and I hope to see it flourish with a cornucopia of content. My Netflix subscription has gathered dust over the holidays, but I intend to dive right back into my viewing habits of one film a day. Certainly those films which I find either inspiring or infuriating (and some in-between) will find there way into the pages of this site.

Second, I plan to read at least one new book a week. My reading slowed when I had my grad school applications pressing on me, but now I can return to my one-book-a-week habit. First up – Lord Jim by Joseph Conrad.

Third, for one year I will dismiss selflessness. If one aspect of my personality has hindered forward progress in my life, it has been my need to please. Whether parents, friends, or abstract ghosts of world opinion, I only recently weaned myself off of the pleasures of other people. When it comes time to choose a grad school (hopefully there will be a choice), I will choose from my own heart and not a myriad of other people’s.

Finally, I return to the quote that starts this entry:

“Sitius, altius, fortius.”

For those not down with the Greek, it means “Faster, higher, stronger.”

When I think of those words, they never cross my mind in an athletic context. I’m not going to cut three tenths off of my forty this year. I’m not gonna add six inches to my verticals. No, what always struck me about that phrase was its breadth. It didn’t specify its growth. It allowed for improvement in all areas. That is what I hope for in the coming year.

I hope to expand my knowledge in every arena possible. I hope to improve my writing, continuing to churn out the pages I have during my application process. I hope to find a greater way to open my heart to the people I care about. In general, I hope to improve my person in every conceivable way.

If not, I’ll settle for losing ten pounds.

No comments: