Sunday, September 03, 2006

I'm Hired? F**k!!

Last Friday, I received a promotion -- I might even consider it a major promotion -- from studio grunt to full-blown photo-journalist. Instead of spending my days locked in the studio shooting newcasts, I'll be hitting the streets with reporters to shoot stories. This is the job I had in mind when I joined KWQC six months ago, and now I have it.

Shit.

This is just about the most major happening of my life since I graduated college. I finally landed a job tailored to my skills and talents, one that could open many doors that had been previously closed to me. It's a job that changes from day-to-day -- something that is essential to prevent the typical ennui that settled in every other place I have worked. It's a job with urgency and pressing demand, something that sounds awful but usually brings out the best in me. Aside from the fact my writing skills won't be put to much use, this is the perfect job for me at this stage in the game.

However, I'd be lying if I didn't say I have my doubts -- in my abilities and in the job itself. The newsroom I'm joining is teetering on the edge of serious upheaval. The departure that has given me this opportunity appears to be the first of many in what could turn out to be a major exodus from the station. If we start hemorrhaging people like the Titanic it's certainly not going to make things easier on those of us who stay onboard -- especially when we're relatively new to our positions. And though I usually pick up on things really quickly, I worry that my usual dexterity and adaptability will abandon me now that I need it the most.

Of course, this is probably just the normal pre-employment panic that would follow me wherever, but since the stakes are pretty high this time (hell, there really haven't been stakes career wise up to this point) I'm just a little edgier than usual. Well, hopefully after three weeks of training, I'll be a little more confident. Thank God I'm going to get eased into this or I might seriously lose my mind.

Anyway, keep your eyes out, kiddies, and if you see me driving past in my channel six vehicle say "Hello Quad Cities!" and I promise to mock you incessantly with my coworkers.

No comments: